A. W. “HEAD” DAVIS (1924 – 2005)
A native Texan and the firm’s founder, A. W. Davis practiced law in Texas for over 50 years. His areas of expertise were eminent domain, general commercial litigation, banking, real estate and probate. A decorated war veteran and a well‑known businessman and community leader, Mr. Davis’s life was truly a model of service.
Mr. Davis was a proud member of the Texas A&M class of 1945. Over the course of his life, he served The Association of Former Students and Texas A&M in numerous capacities including stints as a member of the Board of Directors for The Association, President of The Association of Former Students and Chairman of the Texas A&M University Foundation. Mr. Davis also participated in the planning, funding and construction of the Clayton W. Williams Jr. Alumni Center and the creation of the Sam Houston Sanders Corps of Cadets Center. He was honored as a Distinguished Alumnus in 2003. In 2005, he was posthumously inducted into Texas A&M’s Corps of Cadets Hall of Honor. He was an ardent supporter of Texas A&M, the Corps of Cadets, and the athletics department.
In 1942, while a student at the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas, Mr. Davis enlisted in the United States Army and served his country during WWII. His service was in the European Theatre of operations in the Rhineland and the Central European Campaigns, in which he earned the Bronze Star. Upon completion of his service in the Army, he returned to A&M where he received his degree in 1948. He later served in the 49th Armored Division of the Texas National Guard until he was discharged in 1960 with the rank of major.
Mr. Davis went on to receive his Juris Doctor (J.D.) from Southern Methodist University School of Law in 1950. Soon after, he began the practice of law in Paducah, Texas. During this time, Mr. Davis spent more than a decade in the Panhandle in private practice and serving as a County Attorney of Cottle County and District Attorney for the 50th Judicial District of Texas. Mr. Davis entered private practice in Brazos County in 1963, where he founded this firm and served as its managing partner.
Mr. Davis also served as President of the Brazos County Bar Association in 1968-69 and was a member of the State Bar of Texas and the American Bar Association. A. W. Davis was a Life Fellow of the Texas Bar Foundation. His community service involvement included serving on the Bryan City Commission and as a Brazos County legal aid volunteer.